Friday 3 June 2011

Le Chateau de Versailles.

I really want to start educating myself on things I love. I want to start developing my interests again, and to start thinking for myself. To start catching up on news again, and formulating my own opinions. I want to know more about everything, so I did a little research. Did you know that originally, Chateau de Versailles was originally a hunting lodge built by King Louis XIII of France? However, Louis XIV built the palace on this site, including the Grand Apartments of the King and Queen. Louis XV then built the Chapel and Opera.

The courts of Versailles were actually the place of ultimate political power, from 1682 to 1789. However, with the start of the French Revolution, the royal family had to go back to the capital, Paris. Originally, the names of the rooms for the Grande Appartement du Roi were based after Roman gods and goddesses as follows:
-Salon de Diane (for the goddess of the hunt)
-Salon de Mars (for the god of war)
-Salon de Mercure (god of trade, commerce and Liberal Arts)
-Salon d'Apollon (for the god of Fine Arts)
-Salon de Jupiter (god of law and order)
-Salon de Saturne (god of agriculture and harvest)
and -Salon de Venus (goddess of love and beauty)

No comments:

Post a Comment