Wednesday 11 May 2011

Nostalgia

At times, when I get a whiff of something, hear something familiar, taste something I remember from a certain experience, I get pulled back to the past.
Let me tell you an example.
I was just settling into bed one day, when across the hall, my mom entered the washroom. She flicked on the light/ceiling fan first, though, and I watched the light spill across the hallway.
That, for some strange reason, made me think of my hometown.
Now, this is public, and therefore I won't mention where I was born, but something just struck me then and there. It made me wish I was back in the midst of that particular big city, listening to cars and trucks rumble by as I sat on my grandfather's window seat. It made me wish that I was complaining about hot weather and dirty washrooms. It made me wish that I was up on the 27th floor of my aunt's apartment building, bathing in air conditioned air and looking down at the world below, where I couldn't hear anything because the windows were never open.
And so this is my nostalgia post.
I know every experience I get, I try to savor fully. I even try to commit it to memory. But our brains are warped and every time I try to bring up a memory, it's fuzzy. There are things that may have happened, that I forget and guess about. Maybe this happened, maybe this did. What I do know, however, are the answers I studied for my test. My test answers are quite important, because they give me that mark that I covet, but I want to remember how happy I felt at a certain occasion, the inside jokes given, the laughter I shook with.
Why is this?
This shall be continued next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment