Friday 26 August 2011

Wanderlust

Suzy, that is exactly what I want.
Except, I think that if I would go anywhere by myself, I'd go to France. Italy seems like a place I would love to explore with a friend, a place where everything is meant to be shared, whether in the beautiful scenery or the amazing architecture. In France, I would attempt at my Canadian-curriculum-basic-grade-10 French and laugh at myself with the people I would be talking to. I would climb the mountains and make friends along the way. Inside Le Louvre, I would whisper little facts to the person beside me, and write little poems on looseleaf paper and leave them on the benches or beside a painting. In the Chateau de Versailles, I would take millions of pictures and sit down outside and sketch everything I see, just to absorb it all. I would take all the brochures and the maps and twirl around in the courtyard and explore all the rooms, especially the Grande Appartement du Roi, in which the rooms are named after Roman gods and goddesses. I would go to the Notre Dame Cathedral and just admire. Soak in the beauty and take in the quietness of being alone, of being in solitude, and having the luxury of being anonymous. Of writing postcards in lonely cafes and people-watching by busy fountains.
Somehow, many humans have the belief that by escaping the routine of their current everyday life, they will find some sort of fulfillment by wandering somewhere else. I think that by changing where we are, being faced with difficulties and situations of panic or getting lost or being faced with a whole new environment, we ourselves can change. While we may get lost, physically, in this chaos of finding your bearings in a city; we are found, in how we are faced with getting to know ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment